[OSM-talk] Wikipedia articles for Sustrans routes and other OSM features

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Nov 4 11:18:14 GMT 2007

I have recently been putting quite a lot of work into Wikipedia and adding
more links between OSM and Wikipedia using the proposed 'wikipedia' tag.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Collaboration_with_Wikipedia

In particular I have adding pages and content for the National Cycle Routes,
for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCR_1 and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCR_51. Could I suggest that other people added
pages for routes they are surveying in a similar style? For some of the
wikipedia pages I have created links back to gravitystorm where there is
good data. If you have information about construction status of routes or
plans for changes to routes you known then do add this information to the
articles.

For regional routes I suggest you use the format RCN_xxx,rrr for the title,
where xxx is the route number and rrr is the region. See 'RCN_42,east' as a
template: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCR_42%2C_east.

Within OSM I have being linking back to wikipedia using the wikipedia tag on
cycle routes (using the 'Route' Relationship) and from ferry 'Way's to the
article for the Ferry route and from Parks and buildings to the relevant
articles.

On a related subject see the Flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/ncn/,
which is a good place to upload geo-coded photos for the UK national cycle
network, but please do consider using CC-BY-SA licensing, so they can be
used in wikipedia, OSM and other resources in due course.

Btw, Sustrans are putting a message out to all their rangers telling them
about OpenStreetMap, Gravitystorm, the wikipedia articles and also the
flickr group and encouraging them to get involved.

Regards,

Peter