[OSM-talk] Tags to Symbol Mapping

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Sun Nov 4 15:13:49 GMT 2007

Nic Roets schrieb:
> I see there are a lot of icons check into the SVN repository and
> published on www.gpsdrive.de. There are also OSM tags on a few icons
> at gpsdrive.de and some of them are deprecated.
>
> I created a comprehensive mapping in the over direction, namely from
> key=value to symbol path and I published it at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tags_to_Symbols_Mapping
>
> I just thought other developers of rendering software may find it useful.

Hi!

Did you notice / use the mappaint plugin for JOSM? It uses a complete
(well, it was complete about two months ago) set of icons to display OSM
map features.

It's actually doing exactly this for icons, plus the rendering for most
"linear" features as well. You can find it's configuration file at:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/editors/josm/plugins/mappaint/styles/standard/elemstyles.xml

In fact I was working together with Joerg Ostertag and Guenther Meier
(from gpsdrive.de) to find a common subset of icons.

BTW: Mappaint is using the classic.small theme, to use the 16*16 Pixel
icons.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: IMHO, having the file used by mappaint that is actually used has a
much better chance to be kept in line with "map features" reality than a
"dead list" in the wiki!