[OSM-talk] Update: Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

Sun Nov 11 18:36:26 GMT 2007

Jon Bright wrote:

> David Janda wrote:
>>
>> 1) The names in northern Cyprus ARE recognised; the state itself
>> is not. Get
>> a flight here and at Stanstead or wherever it will say Ercan,
>> which is the
>> village where the airport is, and Ercan is the Turkish name.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure recognition by RyanAir is the same as
> recognition by
> the UN :-)

AFAIK the only airline that flies from Western Europe to Northern
Cyprus is KTHY, i.e. the Northern Cypriot airline.

If you take a flight from Stansted to Northern Cyprus, it's actually
billed at Stansted as "Izmir" - the airport in Turkey. The aeroplane
touches down at Izmir, stays there for half an hour, then continues
on to Ercan. But it doesn't say Ercan at Stansted, unless things have
changed in the last year.

I post merely for information - personally I think the Turkish
Cypriots get a raw deal and there's a week worth of my tracks from
the TRNC in the db. :)

cheers
Richard