[OSM-talk] Update: Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Sun Nov 11 18:30:51 GMT 2007

Hi,

David Janda wrote:

> 1) The names in northern Cyprus ARE recognised; the state itself is not. Get
> a flight here and at Stanstead or wherever it will say Ercan, which is the
> village where the airport is, and Ercan is the Turkish name.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure recognition by RyanAir is the same as recognition by
the UN :-)  To avoid various kinds of "recognized by whom?" disputes,
maybe name:unitednations or something.  Maybe also name:icao assuming
that's the name they use.  Again, trying to document the various
opinions on the matter rather than trying to decide between them.

> 2) Is name:old not the same as old_name: ???

I changed this because it struck me that old_name was something of an
inconsistency.  I don't know what Map Features has to say.  It seems to
me that anything which isn't two letters (or two letters <underscore>
two letters, e.g. en_GB) can be used as a colon suffix for name.
name:old therefore seemed more consistent to me than old_name.  But, in
happy contrast to user_7363, I'm flexible on this and most other points :-)

--
Jon