[OSM-talk] Update: Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

tim chippy2005 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 23:45:15 GMT 2007

In search of an "official" way that the UN approaches this, i found
that very recently, August 2007, there was a UN conference -  United
Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names.

at that conference, Turkey presented a technical paper on
"Representation of Geo-Political Disputes in Geo-Names Supported
Information Systems"

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/9th-UNCSGN-Docs/E-CONF-98-30-Add1.pdf

They give three options in case of a "bi-lateral dispute":
 a) showing both datasets, useful where coverage is unknown b)
providing one, and keeping the other linked to and c) discarding the
other and going for just one of them.

They are saying that because of modern technology, that b) is probably
best, in other words, allowing two views to coexist....

- Tim