[OSM-talk] Update: Advice needed - dispute regarding names in Cyprus

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 12 00:18:20 GMT 2007

Let's just think and not be quick to go against the other user because
they're not on the mailing list and they're using potlatch raher than JOSM
(nothing against potlatch, but it seems to be used by most casual
editors/those not engaged with discussion/those that quickly want to change
something they don't like, aswell as other mappers).
I know when I started to read this conversation as it begun I was quick to
mentally take the side of the original poster because they were on the
mailing list and the other user was unknown/uncontacted.

Now all the data has been put in with the various tags name:el, old_name
etc. But the main point, and the one that the changer/deleter is interested
in, is of course the tag that shows up on all maps showing a name. The
name=.

So I would say the first course of action is to tag name=Kazaphani/Ozanköy,
so both names are visible. Both parties should be explained that this is
best comprimise OSM can offer so a user looking for either can find the
place.
Next we need to ask: are there any programmers out there that have nothing
better to do and could help on a feature 'you have entered an area with
multiple names, please choose (an option for both would be good)' on the
"offical" map(s). Do we have a dev wish list? Could this be added to it
fairly high up.

I like Fredrik's suggestion of the first person get's rights and grants
them. I would have this turned off as default on my stuff, but if/when an
area became sensitive it would be good to flick it on. (the first person to
of mapped may of gone, so would the first to lock be in power - in which
case the feature shouldn't be incredibly obvious). Can we add this to the
dev wish list please.

Obviously the revisions/reverting is high up on the dev wish list.
If the wish list is only a mental list, I could create a page in the wiki.
It would also be a bit like a roadmap, or at least make it easy to make one.

--
Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com