[OSM-talk] open satnav hardware

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:59:39 GMT 2007

> the coverage rates)? i'm sure this can save on the cost of the device
> (and most users would not be interested in uploading OSM data to their
> jupiter - far too fiddly)? if not, are there any community-based

I was also interested in buying an Neo1973 as a cheap GPS phone combo.
But it looks like someone at FIC screwed up and you may need to
installed a pirate closed source GPS driver with GTA01. And after
importing the phone and adding everything up it will be more expensive
that an Ipaq 514 + bluetooth GPS.

Then the local (South Africa) prices on the satnav dropped
considerably and I discovered that some of them are WinCE 4.2 based.
So I picked up a TGPS-374 (similar to the Axxion 374 / Majestic 01
found in Europe) for US$260 (US$229 excl VAT) at the local retailer
last week and I have earlier downloaded a nearly complete development
suite for it in the form of eVC++ 4, SP4, Pocket PC SDK and
ActiveSync.

Remember WinCE does not include pword, outlook or anything else that
will make you think it's a Windows Mobile / Pocket PC device. So
Microsoft obviously gives the OEM a volume deal and the "Windows Tax"
is of the same order as the "ARM Tax", namely a few cents. The "NAVTEQ
Tax" is more than compensated for by having a keep eye for bargains.