[OSM-talk] saving GPX file on GPSr stripped out timestamp

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 22:39:53 GMT 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:08 PM, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
> I went on 3hr drive around NSW and though I'd save my tracks in my Garmin Vista rather
> than leave it as an active track. but when I load it in to OSM only 1 of 500 point where
> uploaded .. crap.
> I was unaware that my Vista Hcx would alter the data when saving it.
>
> Can I recover any of this data for OSM use?
> ie can I tell OSM import to populate its timemarks?
> and why does the OSM track require timestamps?
>

> Paul

I'm not sure if saving it clears the active track, but if the active
track is still intact you can read it using GPSBabel (something like
"gpsbabel -t -f garmin -i usb: -o gpx -F outfile.gpx"). If your Vista
is one of the Cx or HCx models, you can set it up to save your
tracklog data directly to the MicroSD card in GPX format. By the way,
I believe "saving" the active track applies a simplification algorithm
to reduce the number of points, too (in whose world should "saving"
something cause a loss of data?!).

Karl