[OSM-talk] Downloading lots of tiles from tile.openstreetmap.org

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Wed Nov 14 09:04:25 GMT 2007

On Mittwoch 14 November 2007, you wrote:
> On 12/11/2007, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
>
> <openstreetmap at ostertag.name> wrote:
> > Wouldn't it make sense to convince people to install there own mapnik for
> > doing stuff like this? It's not that difficult to do so. Just install the
> > debian packages and start the import ....
>
> that's a fantastic idea. unfortunately, the instructions to getting
> mapnik are not exactly simple to follow, there's lots of hand-editing
> of config files, and it takes a looooooooong time.
>
> is there a project underway to make this as easy as installing a
> single package, and then running an 'update data' command within some
> nice gui?

Well; the short Version would sound like this:
Get a Debian (testing) PC with 2GB RAM and a decent CPU Power. Then
login and do the following 5 little commands:
	su -
	echo "deb-src http://www.gpsdrive.de/debian testing main">>/etc/apt/sources.list
	apt-get update
	apt-get install openstreetmap-*
	mapnik-osm-updater.sh  --all-planet-update

Then wait at least 3 hours to cook ....

And you should be able to use your newly installed mapnik database. For
example by installing gpsdrive and viewing the map in your area.

I hope that's not too much editing for the start.

--

Jörg (Germany, Munich)