[OSM-talk] [Voting] highway=living_street voting started

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 14:48:18 GMT 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 2:41 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:
> The proposal about highway=living_street is ready for a vote IMO, the
> only thing that was discussed is how to tag the road classification.
> There were different alternatives discussed, but I still think
> highway=living_street is by far the best solution compared to the other
> discussed alternatives.

FWIW, I think this is what highway=residential should have meant in
the first place: a street where cars must give way to other forms of
traffic, in particular pedestrians.

> Any attempts to fit a living_street into the existing highway tags is
> just painful for both mappers (4 or more key/value pairs instead of just
> the usual 2) and renderers / routers (simple tag instead of "derive and
> guess" classification from subtags) in the long run.

I also think this argument about renderers is bogus. By that reasoning
we would have highway=unclassified_oneway_nobikes_unpaved which is
completely insane. Subtags are *good*. And with presets it's not a big
deal for mappers either.

It's probably the best we can do though. But if there was a vote for
hijacking highway=residential (which is a much better name), I'd
register several users and vote yes with all of them :)

Have a nice day,