[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] OSMF - OSM usage guidelines

William Waites ww at styx.org
Mon Nov 19 11:38:46 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:28:22AM +1100, Ian Sergeant wrote:

> If MegaMapping Inc is really threatened by OSM, they will be using every
> legal method at their disposal to maintain their revenue.  They owe that to
> their shareholders.

Can you say single point of failure? If you're really worried about
something like this, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

It seems to me that mirrors of the data, distributed across different
organizations in different jurisdictions, would greatly reduce any such
risk.

Nevermind that the example given does not, IMO, constitute a derived
work and seems to presuppose an entirely new and non-existent body of
law, but IANAL and it is true that MM doesn't necessarily have to be
right to perpetrate such a legal DOS attack.

Would it not be a more productive use of people's time and mental
bandwidth to create such a distribution model rather than making
strawman arguments based on legal fantasies?

-w