[OSM-talk] Advanced highway tagging

Sven Grüner sven at schunterscouts.de
Tue Nov 20 14:20:54 GMT 2007

Andrew MacKinnon schrieb:
> [...]

This topic fits perfectly because we're heavily discussing the same on
the German list for over a week by now. But of course this is a global
issue because everywhere on the world the administrative classification
doesn't reflect the actual importance/physical condition.

So we have to define which of these is described by the highway-tag.

Personnaly I prefer the administrative classification because IMHO it's
the only way that two different mappers standing in front of the same
road will always label it the same. For the importance aspect there are
a lot of tags already which routers/renderers can take into account on
their own preference: lanes=, maxspeed=,
highway=stop/crossing/traffic_signals, width/est_width=, grade1-5, and
more to be proposed. Addionionally there's a lot of info that can be
extracted from the raw data like if it's a dual carriageway and the
average distance between two junctions.
Each user/vehicle might judge the quality/importance of a road
differently and the mapper should not take this choice from him by
assigning a strict importance-hierarchy.

so far, Sven