[OSM-talk] Potlatch :-)

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Fri Nov 23 05:10:14 GMT 2007

>> Of course, someone may have reverted the changes already. Uploaded a
>> recent saved OSM file perhaps?

No, is was and is a very small data loss.  Just the outline of the small
park called "Rosenau" is rotten ATM.  If those incidents happen more
often, people will loose confidence in the data integrity of OSM.

> Right - but the issue here is that these kind of postings don't help
> developers to fix problems.  This is a case of Karl venting his anger
> rather than trying to fix the problem.

My posting was not targeted at Richard (I appreciate his work on creating
an online editor).  It was targeted towards the the site-admin or keeper
of the data.  As long as a graphical tool stores the edits directly
into the database, the risk is very high that damage will happen.  So my
posting helps the admin to take a decision.

In this case, the user probably clicked somewhere somehow, changes took
place, and then he was clueless how to rectify the changes and left with
a bad feeling.  I'm pretty sure he did not do the change intentionally.

If something strange happens while editing in JOSM, you can simply close
the application without saving and re-start it.  Thus you may loose your
edits, but you do not damage data already entered.

Potlatch surely needs a explicit save button.  I do not know whether
such a button exists.