[OSM-talk] Oxford University use without attribution

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Wed Nov 28 14:17:36 GMT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 02:22:28PM +0100, Steve Chilton wrote:
> Grand to see OSM used in what is presumably quite a high profile site,
> and now attributed with links back.

  Yes - once it got the attribution, this became a whole other story
  and it's a shame really that some of the more high-profile maps are
  Google - an odd inconsistancy, especially when OSM does useful
  things like show street names in the University Science Area.  In
  fact, Google just has a big grey blob for the University Parks,
  Science Area, Linacre College and the Social Sciences Area.

> Aside from the tile traffic issue, it does highlight the
> completeness/accuracy aspect of OSM data. [...] I suggest an
> editing and mapping blitz concentrating on the area inside the
> Oxford ring road. Anyone could contribute, but particularly local
> OSMers.

  Time is a real issue for me, sadly, and there really are a lot of
  holes, even in the street-level coverage (Headington and Botley are
  noticably incomplete and the council estates of Wood Farm, Barton,
  Blackbird Lees and Greater Lees each only have a couple of the
  major routes).  When it comes to extras such as buildings, pubs,
  post boxes, etc we're really missing a lot.

> Similarly, Wolfson College is mapped in detail (by "socks" according to
> tagging) but some other colleges are not.

  I am Socks, and I work at Wolfson, but I was basically tidying up
  what someone else did anonymously, when they did the footpaths just
  over the river.  I agree, even a PoI node for each college would be
  great - it's certainly on my to-do list, but getting access to mark
  buildings or even campuses from some of the colleges might be
  tricky!