[OSM-talk] Bus sluice/gate (Was: Oxford University use...)

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Wed Nov 28 15:52:14 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:41:16PM +0000, David Earl wrote:
> On 28/11/2007 15:26, Steve Coast wrote:
> > Is it not ok to tag it
> >
> > highway:tertiary
> > ref:A420
>
> That's certainly what I'd do.

  It certainly makes pragmatic sense, but like I say, I don't want an
  edit war with people who say the offical classification MUST be
  reflected in the highway= tag.  I seriously don't see anything
  better though.  However much we tag the actual restriction, it is
  only a 3m long section of road, which isn't going to show at
  zoomlevel 13, although the whole road affected by this restriction
  is really quite dominant at that level of zoom.

> The bus_sluice proposal
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Bus_Sluice)
> almost fits this need, but it is a bit specific to the design (hole in
> the road, rather than bollard) of the closure point.

  In this and other examples in Oxford, the Bus Gate (as the council
  refer to it) has no physical barrier, just a large warning sign and
  an ANPR camera.