[OSM-talk] Oxford High Street classification (Was: Bus sluice/gate)

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Thu Nov 29 17:08:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 04:22:57PM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
>David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> > My impression is that most people support the view that we should
> > map what we see on the ground, possibly with additional as yet
> > unspecified tags to reflect a differing "official" designation. I
> > presume the A420 isn't actually signposted along Oxford High
> > Street.
>
> I don't that's the consensus at all - my view is that we should map
> things as what they are (in this case a primary road).

  Having had a night to think, and discussed this on IRC with other
  OSM people and Oxford residents, I have come to a personal
  conclusion on this: Yes, we *should* map things as what they are,
  but in this case it is not a primary road.

  In my humble opinion (apparently shared with other locals), Oxford
  High Street is a non-primary road with a primary road reference.
  Yes, it's an anomalous situation, but it's an anomalous situation
  we can map.

  There was still debate as to which bits of the A420 through Oxford
  are not primary, and if it's not primary what is it exactly.  On
  the former, I'd say the primary road network should not just drop
  out (a primary dead-end, as it were) and therefore the non-primary
  bit of the A420 is from its junction with the A4144 (at the end of
  Thames Street) to the junction with the A4158 (Magdalen Roundabout,
  aka The Plain).  As to which classification the highway= key should
  have, I'd say the High is less important (from both mapping and
  routing aspects) than its effective bypass (Longwall Street - Parks
  Road) which has been marked as Secondary, but more important than
  the unclassified roads coming off of it - therefore Tertiary is my
  conclusion.

  Am I completely barking?