[OSM-talk] Tiger data and highway classifications

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 15:40:20 GMT 2007

Was just looking at an area of the USA (Long Beach area, near LA) I've
visited a few times:

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=33.84935384493783&lon=-118.11231256062878&zoom=16&layers=B000F000

Noticed that a number of through roads which I clearly remember as easily
equivalent to a UK A road are shown as highway=unclassified (specifically
Woodruff Avenue, Palo Verde Avenue).  Should these be highway=primary? Or
in US terms does a hihgway=primary need to be a designated (numbered)
state or national road?

In the same area I've also noticed the Mount Wilson Road (which climbs
Mount Wilson north of LA) is shown as an unclassified road whilst it's
actually a track. Again, would it be legitimate to edit this to be
highway=unsurfaced?

Nick