[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Oct 1 09:55:50 BST 2007

>I have added highway=unsurfaced to the Map Features page as it is in use
by many mappers, and has been rendered >by Osmarender for a while now.
>Rationale that I use is that highway=unsurfaced is used for part of the
public highway (therefore subject to >rules of road/law, and is by
extension traversable by normal road cars) that happens to not have a
tarmac >surface.
>As against this highway=track is any unsurfaced way that is not part of
public highway (eg farm tracks, etc, >and not normally traversable by
normal road cars).

Hello Steve (and all),

How about tracks which have public access by foot (and perhaps horse) but
not car? I generally tag these as highway=footway|bridleway, but it would
be nice to be able to distinguish between paths and tracks. To me
highway=track implies a private track (no public access at all).

I think at the end of the day we need a separate tag (not highway) for
physical condition, e.g. physical_description=path|track|gravel|road.
Different highway tags could have default values e.g highway=footway is
default physical_description=path, but can be overridden as
physical_description=track.

Nick