[OSM-talk] oneway=1

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Wed Oct 3 13:21:02 BST 2007

Arieh Skliarouk wrote:
> I, as OSM user, prefer to have 95% of the city outlined in a week, so
> I can fill necessary details as I go, instead of waiting for some bike
> surveyor to map 100% in two years.
>
> Oh, and one small question: where do I get bike surveyor for my city
> (population 10.000.000) please?

Well it's up to you, organise talks do publicity, find people that are
interested.

I think experience has shown that dedicated mappers do produce better
results than a big pile of GPS tracks (and in the UK OSM has had traces
donated) Sure they can help to fill in the main road, but someone has to
visit the street to know if it has height restrictions, number of
carriageways, speed limits, points of interest; all the things that make
or maps better.

I know of at least 6 "bike surveyor's" in my small city of 400,000 so
you should be able to get 160 for your city...

Not that I think that your idea's aren't worth considering, but I think
you will find that nothing will be as good as a person on the street be
it in a car, bike or foot. To me, the value of OSM is in the people.

Cheers
Chris

--
http://www.chrisfleming.org/