[OSM-talk] Bridge Names

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 3 22:44:22 BST 2007

Hi,

> I would like to have nodes and ways only describe the geometry of
> objects.  IMO nodes should have only 2 properties (lat & lon) and
> maybe altitude.  Ways should only reference nodes.  All metadata
> should be capured in relations.

That surely is an extreme viewpoint but it is a possibility for a
distant future ;-)

> It would be very easy for a post box, a
> phone booth and the town centre to share the same node without tagging
> conficts.

And it would be easy to accidentally move the post box when you only
wanted to move the phone booth ;-)

No, honestly, all this is thinkable; it is a widely-used model to have
objects with several properties, one of which is their physical shape
or location - that's what your suggestion would boil down to. But of
course all that would require good support in all editors as well as a
major shake-up of related software.

Bye
Frederik