[OSM-talk] Student Project Ideas

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 6 16:41:34 BST 2007

I've just started a Computer Science degree and I'm already keeping OSM in
my mind for when my final/3rd year project needs deciding.

So sounds great, a question is what about terms of the course. I think the
university may have ownership of coursework. So would it be that I might
make a great program for OSM, then not be able to continue maintanince after
because the university might say they rightfully own it and any value that
comes from it?

Gregory.

On 06/10/2007, Patrick Weber <p.weber at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Steve
>
> Not about this, will CC him. Wasnt aware that work has been done with
> the MSc. Is there a wiki page with completed projects listed?
>
> Patrick
>
> Steve Coast wrote:
> > Patrick
> >
> > Have you spoken to Muki, cc'd? He's run OSM projects before and spoke
> > at our conference and is in your department.
> >
> > On 6 Oct 2007, at 15:15, Patrick Weber wrote:
> >
> >> Hi list
> >>
> >> This is my first post, as I only recently have become aware of OSM,
> >> but I am really impressed  with progress, and have been busy adding
> >> data on both my current home, South East London, and my native town
> >> of Luxembourg. I have posted the following idea to the Students
> >> project wiki page.
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Student_projects
> >>
> >> I am a PhD Student at University College London, and have previously
> >> done a MSc in GIS at their Geomatics Department. As part of that MSc,
> >> students need to complete a Summer Term Project (Thesis). Subjects
> >> for these projects are quite varied, and interested students could
> >> take on projects related to OSM. As they are graded on the projects,
> >> there is a strong incentive for the students to deliver good results
> >> as well. I have a working relationship with various staff involved in
> >> the MSc still, and would be happy to coordinate project ideas and see
> >> if there is any interest from this years students.
> >>
> >> The projects would run next summer. Please let me know if you think
> >> this is a good idea, obviously we need to coordinate this and make
> >> shure students get proper support both from the University and OSM if
> >> they want to take on a project.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Patrick
> >
> > have fun,