[OSM-talk] Google Maps comparison

graham graham at theseamans.net
Thu Oct 11 16:01:18 BST 2007

David Earl wrote:

> It's interesting just how much names change too. The NPE maps frequently
> have spellings that I think were common at the time (rather than being
> mistakes) that are different from today's naming only 50 years later.
> "Long Stanton" near me has now morphed into "Longstanton"

Something my local council has been doing with new signs is
systematically removing all the apostrophes. So names like "Monk's
Close" become completely ambiguous: it's never possible to tell whether
a final s is possessive or plural.  I guess this is just a result of
illiteracy, but I've been copying it (even when I remember the real
name) because I thought policy is to take the signs as showing the
definitive name. Do others do the same?

Graham