[OSM-talk] Highway = Motorway automatically oneway ?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 12:32:11 BST 2007

On 10/14/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at web.de> wrote:

> You are making a lot of assumptions with saying that motorway is
> automatically oneway.

No, we're making one assumption. If a tag can be assumed for 95% of
the time, then it saves 95% of tedious repetitive tagging. That's why
I assume ncn=yes if there's a ncn_ref tag, for instance - it's less
laborious for everyone, leaving more time in the world for more
enjoyable things!

> I know some parts in the alps (italy or switzerland) where motorways
> don't have strictly seperated lanes for both directions, so the oneway
> tag is not the right choice here AFAI understand this tag.

So tag them as oneway = no. It's easier to do this than assume
oneway=no on everything and tag the other 99% as oneway = yes.

> P.S: motorway_links (at least here in germany) are *very often* not
> oneway, already noted!

Really? Are you allowed to drive along the motorway link and turn
round and drive back down it (i.e. do a U-turn)? Sections of road
where U-turns are disallowed (whether by physical divider or lines on
the road or somesuch) can be modelled by opposing oneway=yes highways.
I've not been to these link roads in Germany, so (as ever) I'm
interested to know more about them, especially if there's photos of
them.

Cheers,
Andy