[OSM-talk] Disallow Anonymous Edits NOW

Sun Oct 14 17:55:03 BST 2007

Andy Robinson wrote:

> It's a +1 for me too, however before we make any change I believe
> we should
> do a few checks and balances.
>
> 1. what does the sign-up process say at the moment (and does it need
> changing)?
> 2. what minimum method of communicating with a user is required (eg
> mail via
> a web form)?
> 3. Communicate to all users (their registered email address) who
> have not
> made their edits public stating that all edits in future will be
> made public
> and that means that any user will be able to contact them via the web
> interface (no direct email details disclosed).
> 5. Anything else?

Yeah, you forgot number 4.

Seriously, Frederik's proposal (AIUI) is actually a bit more cunning
than that. We don't have to do 3, because users who have not made
their - existing - edits public will not be forced to do so. They
just won't be able to make any more non-public edits: Potlatch and
the standard API will refuse it.

So if they want to carry on mapping, they either need to make their
current account public, or create a new account (public by default).

For point 1, we just need to add a new sentence at the end of the /
create-account.html form: "The display name you choose will be the
name to which all your OpenStreetMap edits will be attributed."

cheers
Richard