[OSM-talk] Disallow Anonymous Edits NOW

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Oct 14 18:33:54 BST 2007

Hi,

> I disagree. Real names should be public. We don't need people who wish
> to remain anonymous(*). Community and traceability are far more important.

Please don't let us get bogged down by the "real name" argument. It
has been a constant issue on all sorts of forums and maling lists and
so on and both sides have their valid points.

What we absolutely need is an "identifier" for the other person - we
need to see who has done which edits and we need to be able to contact
them.

We don't need to know who they are in real life, and we don't need to
know their email as long as the API allows us to send them a message.
It is nice if they're willing to give their real name but if they
don't, they will have their reasons and I respect them.

> In terms of how it should work, if someone logs in and hasn't set edits
> public, they should be presented with a screen with only 2 options.
> "Make edits public" and "log out". They should never see potlatch or any
> other screens.

Agree, but this has nothing do do with real names.

Bye
Frederik