[OSM-talk] Mysterious edits...

Thu Oct 18 10:20:04 BST 2007

Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Interesting what you pick up when you look for authors of ways in your local
> area. Noticed a number of my ways and one or two of Andy Street's have had
> another author ascribed to them without anything having apparently changed!
> Some sort of artefact/bug?

Further to the existing reports...

If you use Potlatch just to move a node in a way, Potlatch will write
a new way to the database, even if the way object itself hasn't
changed. Part of the reason for this is that Potlatch only writes
created_by attributes to ways, not nodes. See mailing lists passim.

cheers
Richard