[OSM-talk] Oxford University use without attribution

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Oct 22 17:01:50 BST 2007

This is great, but it would be embarrassing for the University and very
damaging for OSM if the data was vandalised in their patch and appeared on
the University web site for any length of time.

Scenario: someone fiddles with the data, goes to Oxford University Web,
checks that their vandalism is visible, takes a screengrab and posts it on
some blog site and then loads of people follow the link back to the main
university site and it ends up on the TV news. Far fetched? Possibly not, I
remember the CIA hack that turned it into the Central Stupidity Agency, and
someone could do something about as high profile using our maps.

So... is their progress on the system to allow contributors to 'watch' areas
that they caretake, and an 'undo' for malicious changes? I think we need
that functionality asap and have a few people watch Oxford.

Personally I keep an eye on central London and on Ipswich and the only
vandalism I had noticed until recently had been in central London and was
basically down to a small number of people scribbling across the map area
which wasn't even visible because it wasn't tagged, but last week I noticed
that someone calling themselves 'randomjunk' had changed the name of a
section of Bishopsgate to 'Norton Folgate' (follow link below to see it).

http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=51.520878289225685&lon=-0.081481346760652
77&zoom=15&layers=B000F000

(I will sort it out soon if no one gets to it earlier, but I would really
like to know if they have changed anything else as well)

I think we should make the 'watch' system a high priority if it isn't
already and make it clear that only places that are 'watched' should be used
on public sites.

Also, the watchers could then provide a level of confidence for their areas
as to completeness and accuracy which could also be available to users of
the maps to help them choose whether to use them.

Regards,

Peter