[OSM-talk] Where to make suggestions/request for JOSM changes?

Paul mylists at wilsononline.id.au
Tue Oct 23 03:27:24 BST 2007

On 23/10/2007 10:51 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I don't see any place in the wiki for making suggestions for
>> improvements to JOSM.
>
> JOSM has its own trac & wiki
>
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/
>
> and its own mailing list
>
> josm-dev at openstreetmap.org
>
> and you're welcome to use either.
>
>> I am in the Western hemisphere and it is a bit
>> confusing when entering bounding box coordinates for downloading
>> data.  The labels are Min and Max for Lat and Lon.  When dealing with
>> negative numbers it gets to be a bit confusing when making
>> adjustments.  I could be a lot clearer and less North East biased if
>> the bounding box labels were North, East, South and West.
>
> This is one of the most annoying subjects about the giant toolbox that
> we have amassed in this project: Every single API, script, tool,
> program seems to have its own idea of how to specify a bounding box.
> Each has its own names ("min lat"? "bottom lat"? "south lat"?) and its
> own idea of the order in which these should be specified.
>
> JOSM is no exception here. I wish we could somehow all use the same.
>
> As long as the user manages to put his latitudes in the latitude
> fields and his longitudes in the longitude fields they could be
> swapped automatically if in the wrong order. And maybe we should also
> add a tile index so we can pop up a message: "requested area is an
> ocean area. proceed?" ;-)
>
> Bye
> Frederik

I have seen other projects create a Wiki page which people can add there "wish-list" of
improvements too , this creates a single point to store ideas, and this helps developers
to see other peoples ideas as well.

I've also seen this used to build priority lists when new developers want to assist etc...
It also means people don't have to suggest the same thing if it has been addressed on the wiki

my 2cents

Paul