[OSM-talk] tagging long distance footpaths (and other named footpaths)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:12:36 BST 2007

On 10/23/07, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions as to what tag to use to name long distance footpaths. The
> one in question at times follows roads and also national and regional cycle
> routes.

I'll hold my peace on tagging suggestions, but I'd like it to be easy
for a renderer to distinguish between the following:
* European Long Distance paths
* National Trails (UK)
* Long Distance Routes (Sco)
* Generic long distance paths
* other generic paths
refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_footpaths_in_the_United_Kingdom
... and so on in a fine balance between national and international
circumstances.

It's best if that can be done by matching a specific tag or value (and
not by parsing free text for reference prefixes or splitting on
semicolons!).

Cheers,
Andy