[OSM-talk] Osmosis error with multiple bouding boxes

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Thu Oct 25 15:22:28 BST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Henderson" <brett at bretth.com>
To: "OSM Talk" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 14:02
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Osmosis error with multiple bouding boxes

Lambertus wrote:
> Thanks for answering so quickly. I have had some advice on the IRC from
> TomH
> and Bobkare and others to use the tee utility with an adapted version of
> the
> planetosm-excerpt-area.pl script (that can handle stdin data). So far that
> seems to work alright (haven't seen the actual results yet though) but it
> looks promising. However, let that not stop you from implementing the tee
> functionality in Osmosis, because that would e.g. allow Windows users to
> have the same functionality. I might also change back to Osmosis when
> tee-ing is possible.
>
>No worries, I think I'll get it working soon but I had to add support
>for tasks with multiple outputs.  Not a big deal but required some
>additional plumbing.
>
>I'm actually a bit confused over how using the tee utility with
>planetosm-excerpt-area.pl helps you.  Are you piping the output of a big
>box into the smaller boxes to reduce parsing overhead?

I try to split the planet.osm file into a large amount of tiles that are
transformed into Garmin GPS device images.
The Mkgmap needs a seperate input file for each image, that's why I need
many output files. I could process the planet for every output file but that
would take a lot of time. Processing the planet only once while producing
the output files at the same time seems much more logical to me and possibly
much faster.

The webinterface for that is coming along nicely. A demo is here:
http://garmin.na1400.info that will give you an idea what I'm trying to do.

I've had no luck using the planetosm-excerpt-area.pl script unfortunately so
Osmosis is back in business :)