[OSM-talk] ESRI Shapefiles to OSM?

Keith Ng khensthoth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:55:47 GMT 2007

Hi,

I think there are other people who can answer your question much better, but
I'll try anyway. From what I can see from OSM currently, there are some data
in Pennsylvania now. (I am not sure, my world geography isn't that good).
So, I assume that TIGER data is being uploaded for that state. Status for
TIGER upload:
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~daveh/tiger/stats.html

Coincidentally, from TIGER website, it says that they are going to release
the 2007 version in shapefile data, just so you know:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp.html

Thus, current TIGER uploading do not use shapefile (I think). Of the script
I know of, coast_josm.pl is one that transform PGS coastline data to OSM
data. The PGS data itself is in shapefile format. I assume that with a
little tweaking and hacking, one will be able to come up with a script for
transforming .shp to .osm.

I believe the current AND data import script also upload shapefile format to
OSM. Again, a little tweaking and such script should be available.

Keith