[OSM-talk] New osmarender markings - what does dashed blackmean?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 11 01:05:47 BST 2007

Hi,

(Brent:)
> > So the procedure is that if there is something you want to see
> > rendered, you just ignore the whole proposal/vote thing and get
> > access to SVN and go ahead and make any old change you want. I
> > thought that must be the procedure, but it wasn't documented
> > anywhere, I'm glad to see it officially sanctioned now ;)

(Robert:)
> I think the words "documented" and "officially sanctioned" have no
> meaning within the context of OSM. That's a good thing. What has the
> whole proposal/vote thing actually achieved? A million and one
> proposals with 3 votes from the few people who have time to cruise the
> wiki and agree to everything!

I, too, think that the way we do it is fine for now. Since a whole lot
of people have SVN write access (and on top of that, at least for
Osmarender/tiles at home, the people doing the rendering on their
machines can still decide whether or not they actually checkout a
modification from SVN!), reason dictates that you can _not_ just make
"any old change" as Brent sarcastically postulates; or, to be precise,
yes you can, but everyone else can revert or ignore it.

If you go through "the procedure" and achieve consensus, it is more
likely (but not guaranteed) that if you or anyone else actually make
the changes afterwards, they will be accepted. (Nobody ever promised
to make the changes for you if you went through the procedure!) But if
you just go ahead and make a change that looks good, that's just as
well.

"The procedure" is really just a way of finding out whether your
proposed change will meet with a lot of criticism or not.

Bye
Frederik