[OSM-talk] New osmarender markings - what does dashed blackmean?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:09:54 BST 2007

On 9/10/07, Brent Easton <b.easton at exemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi 80n,
>
> Thanks for confirming that.
>
> So the procedure is that if there is something you want to see rendered,
> you just ignore the whole proposal/vote thing and get access to SVN and go
> ahead and make any old change you want. I thought that must be the
> procedure, but it wasn't documented anywhere, I'm glad to see it officially
> sanctioned now ;)

You are free to use any tags you like.  You are also free to grab a copy of
Mapnik or Osmarender, modify the rules file to suit your needs and render
whatever you like.

Some of us have used this freedom to build tiles at home.  If you want
something different then you are welcome to build your own as someone in
Slovakia has chosen to do at http://www.freemap.sk/

If setting up a complete tile server and rendering engine is too much work,
then you are also free to direct your energy into creating rendering patches
for the Osmarender layer on tiles at home.  Patches are very welcome.

The proposal/vote thing on map features is not a waste of effort.  It
provides everybody with guidelines for tagging (I consult it very regularly
myself), it provides a way for new and innovative tags to be discussed and
peer reviewed.  Tags listed in map features are generally well thought out
and sensible.  Whether or not any particular rendering engine will render a
particular tag is down to the people to contribute to that renderer.  A map
that rendered every single possible tag would become hopelessly crowded so
some selectivity is unfortunately inevitable.

80n

Cheers