[OSM-talk] Fwd: remake of tag "amenity= place_of_worship"

Robert Hart bathterror at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:29:50 BST 2007

On 11/09/2007, hanoj <enemy at mail.muni.cz> wrote:
> Robert Hart napsal(a):
> > On 11/09/2007, hanoj <enemy at mail.muni.cz> wrote:
> >> Hallo! I want to normalize this tag Mapping/Features/Place of
> >> Worship. My ideas have background in European traditions, but I
> >> hope they are compatible with ideas of other people in the world.
> >> I've remaked icon it to light version.
> >
> > I don't understand what you think is wrong with the current scheme.
> > The only thing you mention is that "place_of_worship" is a bit
> > long...
> *** and use religion and denomination...
> *** this is mess and ambiguity.
>

> > Surely we can keep the place_of_worship as is, and then also use the
> > more generic building tag for building=church, chapel, catherdral,
> > abbey, mosque. korvala, temple, shrine, or whatever?
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Building
> *** I have not problem with including Sacred place to the building. But
> double tagging for the same physical object, why?
> What is than used for render: building or place_of_worship?
>
> It is possible change of proposed building?
>
> In the wiki is not true, what is primary proposed tag or way for next
> proposed tag...
>

> > We'd obviously also need a "spire" tag to get the correct symbol on
> > the map for a church.
> *** I dont know, why icon spire (narrow tower) = church?
> *** We need symbol/logo for Christian place/building. I am not happy
> from indifferent icon as "space-shuttle from Atari strike game"
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Pictograms).
>
> Then I make new. I inspire from historical mapping and sacral symbol. I
> will add SVG version of my icon...
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Sacred_building
>

> thanks for your mail

Ahoj Hanoj,

I've read your e-mail, and have a few small comments.

1) OSM data is not just used to render maps. It is also used by the
search facility on the OSM front page. This means information like
"denomination" that is never actually going to be rendered on a map is
still useful. One day (soon) it'll be possible to do a search for
"churches near Denewood Avenue, Nottingham" and get more than just a
list of names.

2) What is currently lacking as far as I can see is anyway of
distinguishing between, say Saint Paul's Cathedral in London, and the
Chapel in the churchyard of Saint Mary's Bathwick (which is over 1km
from the main church).

3) In England it is (or was) very common to use Church buildings as
navigation aids (I imagine less so in Czech). The tower or spire of a
church can often be seen for a substantial distance and can hence be
used for triangulation of position. The symbols used on Ordnance
Survey maps are designed to clearly show which buildings have a
prominent feature of a tower, or spire (something which rises to a
point, like an inverted cone shape), or nothing at all, and if my
understanding is correct, to indicate the location of that feature.
Whilst there's something to be said for nice pictograms, there's also
something to be said for tradition - rendering and tagging should be
informed by each other, not dictated too.

Hope that adds some fuel to your thoughts.

Dobrý den!

Rob

Robert Hart

Robert Hart