[OSM-talk] Cleaning up religions & denominations

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Sep 12 10:51:56 BST 2007

Hullo,

After Hanoj raised various problems with the way we mark places of worship
I came across this table of values for religion and denomination in the DB
as of Feb 2007:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Mapping/Features/Place_of_Worship

I've updated this page which purports to contain the definitive list of
denominations:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Place_of_Worship#Values_for_Denomination

But it would be good to correct differences like "Baptist" and "baptist",
to translate "church_of_england" into "anglican", "Roman Catholic" to
"catholic" and so on. There are also religion values that are really
denominations ("Catholic", "christian_quaker") and denomination values that
are really religions ("buddhist", "scientology"). I seem to remember
someone had a kind of spellcheck tool that could do this. So two questions:

1) Is it possible? Or would it involve grepping the planet, downloading the
areas in JOSM and doing it all manually?

2) Would anyone have a problem with me / someone else translating the more
obvious but incorrect values to the "standard" values?

Kind regards,
Tom