[OSM-talk] Suggestion more complete mapping verifactiion

John Baker rovastar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:26:17 BST 2007

I started this post because I looked at the map of central London that was
meant to be complete and decided to some roads where I worked many years ago

Heddon Street just off regent street, Central London, W1 was one.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529233&y=180753&z=1&sv=heddon+street&st=1&tl=Heddon+Street,+W1&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

I though it would be a good test case a small street and it is/was a
cul-de-sac road with a walkway (no cars can get through) at the north end
not a straight through crescent-like road like streetmap, a to z, etc
display it as. (also then I noticed that Bean Street in OSM is really Beak
Street)

Now the map of that area appears all complete but this road was completely
missing. Before I saw that I had confidence that the data was correct after
I didn't. Of course I can (and will when I am next that way) map it myself
but I have no GPS, etc. I know I can still add stuff but I started thinking
with my IT head on about an easier way to sort this as I have little
confidence in an area of the map that many believed complete and unlikely to
be checked again. I wondered how many other areas like this are there. I
presume someone carefully checked the area like many of you do (street
walking/aerial photos) when mapping an area and simply a street got missed
and it was/is not tagged as missed.

Obviously over time the wiki streetmap will get better but I thought we
could simply compare map data with other (official) sources to get a more
complete map.

I know nothing about mapping and came across this project a week ago by
chance and I do much a fair few open source/free projects on the web and
thought I would help out.

There are 2 issues I can see here:

a) If you could check 100% legally the streets against a known source of
streets would you find this helpful? I cannot see how you would not find
this helpful but many replies here seem to imply this.

I only know about the UK and know little about mapping/street indexes hence
the focus on them here. But surely this would be useful where there is a
complete or even decent legal resource of street names. You can use it in
conjunction with any other system you could check multiple databases against
the OSM data.

I would have thought that some countries out there would have more relaxed
laws about the data and this could be very possible.

To be honest, I seem to be finding hostility towards this idea in general
and I don't understand way. It seem that some like to make things difficult
for themselves and want to do *everything* by hand and don't want help.

It is just a more pro-active way of helping the project progress. If German
has relexed laws about this an a list of streets is know for say Berlin and
if Berlin was nearly finished then we could compare the two. I would have
thought it would really help out say a small group of dedicated mappers that
have nearly completed a city, we missed a few streets there rather than
walking the streets/looking again at the aerial maps of the area that they
think they have mapped perfectly.

Once you have confidence that all the streets are mapped then you can help
promote OSM to local councils, business, etc, etc

In the wiki of the UK there are many cities that state they are nearly
complete (or complete!!) I imagine some of these are done by one or a few
mapper wouldn't it be nice to check their data. I dont mean to damage egos
by saying that sorry you missed x, y, z road.

I find it surprising that you appear not to want to cross reference the data
with another source - or in fact as many sources as possible. All legally of
course.

b) The legality of the UK data.

I am no expert on this but have dealt a fair bit with legal software
licenses and tbh I could not see too much wrong with the RM licenses. I can
understand not wanting to put the project in jeopardy although first you are
likely to get a C&D/takedown notice before any action is taken and open
source project have a lot more leeway to as anyone could just restart the
project again with the data in it. And once started again the companies
would have to prove that data came from there source with what I am saying
there is no way they can.

The data would have been inserted in to the database manually from manually
looking at street signs. I don't care how big your lawyer wallet is I cannot
see anyone holding it up for a new project especially based on the same
data.

I am at a loss once it is in the database who can tell. No Easter eggs will
be there as people have gone by hand to check it like what happened to the
AA.
It is like me comparing the data with the paper AtoZ by hand either looking
at maps and saying that this street doesn't appear on our map.

To be honest any info of street names would be useful even if they are not
complete indexes and I cannot believe that there is no source for some info.
I just don't want to do all that work myself.

I think in general the project should be looking at linking up with more
sources for verification. It seems a shame that no-one considers this.

Cheers,

John