[OSM-talk] national borders and josm plugin to selectively load gpx osm files for current view

Christof Dallermassl cdaller.hw at gmx.at
Tue Sep 18 09:54:07 BST 2007

hi!

As there was just a discussion about national borders I started to do
the austrian border (via wdb2osm). On the features page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:boundary is mentioned, that
this tag should only be set on areas. This means that the border way
will be very long (not in case of lichtenstein or austria, but take
france, germany or norway) and any josm download in the border area will
retrieve the complete border.

Another problem is that a border usually is a border for two countries,
so the segments must be reused (is this the correct way to do this). How
will we do this in near future with relations and without segments?

BTW, I've written a josm plugin that allows to select multiple osm or
gpx files to load, but only loads the ones that intersect with the given
view in josm - very handy to filter out from those 127 wdb osm files for
europe :-)

I will publish it in the next few days, the integration in josm is not
yet perfect. If someone needs it faster, send an email.

regards
christof