[OSM-talk] national borders and josm plugin to selectively load gpx osm files for current view

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Tue Sep 18 10:15:17 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:54:07AM +0200, Christof Dallermassl wrote:

> the austrian border (via wdb2osm). On the features page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:boundary is mentioned, that
> this tag should only be set on areas. This means that the border way
> will be very long (not in case of lichtenstein or austria, but take
> france, germany or norway) and any josm download in the border area will
> retrieve the complete border.

As areas are just ways with the same start/end node, I'd say it can't curt to have borders as ways, if you e.g. only have a part. The renderer (osma) won't care when drawing the border itself, it will only not be able to fill in a country with a color. So this is not a big issue. I'd say you can have it as way or area...

> Another problem is that a border usually is a border for two countries,
> so the segments must be reused (is this the correct way to do this). How
> will we do this in near future with relations and without segments?

bobkare does it with country:left and country:right, to make it possible to render the country name on the correct side of the border. That is certainly one possibility.
Personally, I'd use one way per country (probably split them in pieces) and use country name=XXX for the country that is to the right side of the way (just like water is supposed to be right of a coastline).

With regard to reusing segments, you can do this in a post-segment world too. TThere is no reason why 2 ways shouldn't be sharing the same nodes for a while (even if the go in different directions.

spaetz