[OSM-talk] Getting map images

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Thu Sep 20 08:29:22 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 08:06:41AM +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
> > > paste a URL from the slippy map, and get a JPEG image suitable for
> > > uploading
> > > to wikipedia or proposing as a featured image:
> > >
> > > http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/MapOf/paste.php

> Great tool, though, very easy to use. Given how many people take screenshots
> of Google maps, Multimap etc. it would be fantastic to include something this
> simple as a tab on the web site, perhaps called "save", which takes you to a
> page with a thumbnail, download link and brief license explanation.

Yes! This is definitely one of the actions that the 4th tab "Export" (or "Use"?) should provide.
I image that it would contain sth like this:

- Download _OSM data file_ of the displayed area
- Create _screenshot_ of displayed area as one image file
- Provide a _permanent link_ to the displayed area which you can send others, link to, etc.