[OSM-talk] Bikely OSM?

Steve Bromwich osm at fop.ns.ca
Fri Sep 21 14:48:33 BST 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Andy Allan wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Steve Bromwich <osm at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on an unofficial bike map to complement the official Halifax
>> bike map (http://www.halifax.ca/bikeweek/HRMBikeMap.html). Since it's
>> unofficial, using the ncn/rcn/lcn/etc tags is probably not appropriate. Is
>> there any software in SVN to do something like Bikely
>> (http://www.bikely.com/)?

> I don't know of anything that does the job, but I'm not well versed on
> all the tools that are available in svn. If you want me to help make
> custom cycle/mapnik based tiles etc, I might be able to help you.

I'm not so much looking for custom tiles as a way to do overlays. Since
this is an unofficial bike map I don't think it's appropriate to pollute
the database with what I consider usable streets for biking, particularly
since there are one or two (literally) bike lanes in downtown Halifax
already.

I'm trying to get my head around openlayers at the moment which looks like
it might be the best bet, unless anyone can suggest a better way?

Cheers, Steve