[OSM-talk] Bikely OSM?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:25:29 BST 2007

On 9/21/07, Steve Bromwich <osm at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Andy Allan wrote:
>
> > On 9/21/07, Steve Bromwich <osm at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm working on an unofficial bike map to complement the official Halifax
> >> bike map (http://www.halifax.ca/bikeweek/HRMBikeMap.html). Since it's
> >> unofficial, using the ncn/rcn/lcn/etc tags is probably not appropriate. Is
> >> there any software in SVN to do something like Bikely
> >> (http://www.bikely.com/)?
>
> > I don't know of anything that does the job, but I'm not well versed on
> > all the tools that are available in svn. If you want me to help make
> > custom cycle/mapnik based tiles etc, I might be able to help you.
>
> I'm not so much looking for custom tiles as a way to do overlays. Since
> this is an unofficial bike map I don't think it's appropriate to pollute
> the database with what I consider usable streets for biking, particularly
> since there are one or two (literally) bike lanes in downtown Halifax
> already.

Sure. But if you were to store your data somewhere, I'd suggest in a
clone of the OSM db. Then you can get a potlatch interface for people
to scribble their routes on (you could use the osm tiles as the
background instead of yahoo imagery). Then you'll have all your routes
in .osm format, and it's trivial to render them to additional tiles
with transparent backgrounds and overlay them on the normal tiles.

Of course, this might well be overkill. There's probably a georss or
similar to describe routes that openlayers will handle, but I don't
know about that.

Cheers,
Andy