[OSM-talk] To John Bright (unwayed segments to unclassified ways)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 26 09:54:42 BST 2007

Hi Peter,

    it seems you have missed a month's worth of postings on the
subject ;-)

> What will happen to ways that are currently reported by map-lint as
> 'unordered', either because they are linear but made from segments
> listed in
> a random order? or alternatively because they have branches? How
> will these
> be represented as sequences of nodes?

Unordered ways will become ordered one way or the other ;-) branching
ways will be split.

> For the migration can we do some test conversions of the DB to
> API05 format
> and run them in parallel for a couple of weeks

I have been doing this ever since the beginning of August. I have
provided a test server, and a working JOSM instance to go with that.
I have regularly (but not weekly) updated the test server with
current planet files since then. Gabriel and I have provided 0.5-
style planet dumps, 0.5-syle database excerpts, and even given
accounts on the machine running the database to anyone who was
interested. Almost everyone involved in developing software for our
"core toolchain" has received a detailed briefing from me by email
weeks ago.

I will do the conversion one final time with today's planet file -
this is going to be, or at least it is planned to be, the "dress
rehearsal" for the 0.5 conversion in which I will also meticuously
write down time and disk space used for everything, so that we know
what to expect when we switch.

> until we have all had a
> chance to test the new interface/db format? Possibly we folk a one-
> off test
> version of the DB in API05 format on a test server and try it for
> about two
> weeks while still using API04 for the master live DB during which
> time we
> can check that we are happy with the conversion algorithm and shake
> out any
> problems?

As I said, this has been going on for about six weeks now and I
wonder how you could have missed it! It's all detailed on the Wiki
page (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?
title=OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5) and has been announced by myself to a
degree that I felt was bordering on spam ;-)

(There aren't very many people using the test server but at least
those developing software seem to have used the opportunity. And I
can't really do much more than give people the opportunity.)

We have tentatively scheduled the switch for the weekend 6/7 October.
Anyone who sees, now or during the next week, a good reason why we
should postpone is welcome to step forward ;-)

Bye
Frederik