[OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:36:51 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Nick wrote:
>
>  > It's worth noting that in terms of climbing grades there are plenty of
>  > different systems worldwide to allow for:
>
>  Yes, I was considering having a tag for each.  e.g.:
>  climbing:grade:british:adjectival=VS
>  climbing:grade:british:technical=5b
>  climbing:grade:french=6a
>  etc.
>
>  Although this makes the tag names rather long.

And full of frigging namespaces. If you're tagging a rock face with a
grade, the climbing: is redundant. If, somehow, there was a 'shopping
grade' for supermakets, you still wouldn't need the namespace, since
the climbing grades would be on rocks, and the 'shopping grade' would
be on the supermarket.

Please, please don't let the stupid Piste namespacing infect your
brain and make you wander round with a namespace-hammer looking for
new tagging-nails.

crag = granite (or whatever)
sport=climbing
british_trad = VS
british_tech = 6b
french = 6a

Does the trick, nice and simple, no problems.

Cheers,
Andy