[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in the USA

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon Apr 21 20:21:24 BST 2008

On 21/04/2008 19:46, Peter Miller wrote:
> Also… please could someone to a ‘trial render’ of the area using one or
> more potential ‘USA friendly’ colour schemes so we can see what it would
> look like. Personally I would be interested in something along these lines:
>
> Orange and wide: Motoroway/trunk
>
> Yellow and wide: Primary
>
> Yellow at narrow: secondary
>
> Fainted yellow and narrow: tertiary

Curious that you say these are 'USA friendly' colors. I have in front of
me a Rand-McNally road map of the US, bought and published in the US,
and the key is as follows:

Free limited access highway: purplish blue with red casement

Toll limited access highway: light green with dark green casement

Other four lane divided highway: yellow with red casement

Principal highway (mostly used for wider non-divided state highways in
practice): wide pink (no special casement)

Other through highway: narrow pink (no special casement)

Other road: narrow purple

Unpaved road: white with gray casement (though so small it just appears
as a gray line really).

On the inset street-level maps, they carry this through, and in
addition, show principal urban streets as gray

They also have some central area maps for some cities where they show
every street. In these, the principal urban streets are now pink and the
minor (residential) streets are gray. The big highways are as per the
main map, though we get to see individual carriageways and junction
arrangements at that scale.

The Golden Gate bridge is apparently tolled, so it is shown in the
second category.

David