[OSM-talk] OSM on "factory" Macs

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 22:06:39 BST 2008

On 21/04/2008, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

>  My question to the Mac users out there: Will those Macs be suitable
>  for demonstrating all important aspects of OSM, i.e.

Yes, IMHO, but see below:

>  * Slippy Map (heard rumours that it runs sub-optimal on Safari,
>   always loading tiles for all layers instead of current only?)

I've sometimes had the sense, irrespective of browser, that more loads
than is really needed, but I mostly use Safari and have no real issue
with it. Do run the software updates to pull in latest Safari with
much improved rendering speed and standards compliance. You can also
install Firefox for safety - V3 has native widgets.

>  * JOSM (especially concerned about usability with 1 button mouse)

Works fine except for requirement to use a doctored YWMS plugin (if
you want to run it). Don't use the 1-button mouse. If the thing comes
with a Mighty Mouse (tiny trackball where the wheel should be) just go
into System Preferences-Mouse and map the right mouse side as button 2
and the trackball click as button 3.

Or just connect any USB mouse of your choosing.

You might want search the list archives for references to the JOSM Mac
Application "Package". That will give you a nice icon in the dock and
will allocate a nicer amount of RAM.

>  * Potlatch

Fine for me. Something that used to happen was the occasional keyboard
freeze, which could be unwedged by switching to another app and back
again.

>  * ...?

Well, you can get a shell on it if you want to, but I imagine you
won't want to install T at H or suchlike (it's possible, but tricky first
time, a lot of prerequisites). sudo su if you want root.

>  Or will I have to install countless helpers, utilities and control
>  panels?

Apple menu-software update and install everything in sight, but
especially Safari.

>  I would like to accept the offer but if I end up endlessly tuning
>  those machines to act like normal computers then I'd rather opt for
>  run-down but working Linux boxes from the community instead of the
>  shiny Macs.

Use the Macs. They look the part and should do what you want.

Dermot