[OSM-talk] Beyond Zoom 18 - (Some scratchspacing ideas concerning siteplans)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Apr 22 00:14:19 BST 2008

In message <480D181E.1080002 at gfarlie.demon.co.uk>
          Sfan00 <osmfeed at gfarlie.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In connection with something that was raised in #osm, I did some
> scratchpading here:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=74.28624&lon=1.138034&zoom=18
>
> (NOTE : I made sure that this wasn't actually anywhere important... it
> appeared to be an area of ocean being in the middle of the Atlantic on OSM)

Everywhere is important. If it's an ocean it should look like an ocean.

This has been discussed inumerable times before and the consensus has
been very clear that we should not use any part of the globe, no matter
how remote, as some sort of test area or scratchpad.

> I was wondering what peoples thoughts were.
> (these sketchs are NOT accurate, to scale - they are just some thoughts)
>
> What exists are the start of some example floorplans for :
> * A supermarket
> * A Cinema seating arrangment
> * A simple  house...
>
> I would welcome some thoughts on what to expand...

Why don't we just stick to mapping sensible things before we start
worrying about mapping the insides of peoples houses!

> On a related note, I would like to make a strong request for thier to be
> 'scratch' tiles in the OSM
> system, so that experimental ideas can be trialled without affecting the
> main map,database etc...

Our database covers the globe - where exactly do you propose we put
this scratch area? Do you propose to extend the normal spherical
coordinate system to have more than 360 degrees along some axis?

Tiles do not exist as an entity in the database that we can magically
allow you to write to - they are just an artefact of cutting the globe
(or rather a projection of the globe) into pieces for rendering.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/