[OSM-talk] GPS recommendations

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Thu Apr 24 19:57:17 BST 2008

On 24 Apr 2008, at 19:32, Kai Krueger wrote:
> I would be interested to hear how you would rate that solution
> compared
> to one involving a bluetooth GPS mouse and using e.g. a cell phone
> to do
> the recording and display of OSM maps. With GPS bluetooth receivers
> selling already at about 20 to 30 pounds, this solution seems quite a
> bit cheaper than buying a Garmin. I can't really comment on the
> quality
> of reception, as I haven't had a Garmin my self, but at least the
> other
> points you mentioned, such as built-in OSM mapping, storage capacity
> ease of use, ... should be achievable with a phone given the right
> software such as e.g. GpsMid (Trekbuddy or WhereAmI, might work as
> well,
>   but I haven't tried those).

I quite liked my Nokia N70 + BlueGPS (Sirf3, non-logging) +
nmea_info.py combo. So much so that I bought another BlueGPS when I
left my first one on a train in a good position near the window. I
can't find its replacement now, so wonder if I left that in a taxi,
bleary-eyed after some flight. Having an all-in-one is quite a bit
less hassle so I'm sticking with my N95 + SportsTracker for now - will
be good for a day out when I buy a spare battery.

- L