[OSM-talk] GPS recommendations

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Apr 24 20:48:57 BST 2008

On 24/04/2008 19:57, Laurence Penney wrote:
> I quite liked my Nokia N70 + BlueGPS (Sirf3, non-logging) +
> nmea_info.py combo. So much so that I bought another BlueGPS when I
> left my first one on a train in a good position near the window. I
> can't find its replacement now, so wonder if I left that in a taxi,
> bleary-eyed after some flight. Having an all-in-one is quite a bit
> less hassle so I'm sticking with my N95 + SportsTracker for now - will
> be good for a day out when I buy a spare battery.

I've been very happy with my Nokia N810 internet tablet. The built-in
GPS seems pretty good - I thought it had lost it going through some
light woodland the other day, as I was on a bit of already mapped road,
but in fact mine was right and the existing was wrong. Of course it does
lose signal sometimes. When I bought it I did some side-by-side session
with my Garmin Geko 301 and I think the Nokia was more accurate and lost
the signal less often.

I've adapted the in-car holder to be a handlebar mount on my bike, and
made some minimal changes to its Maemo Mapper application so that I get
one-touch-anywhere-on-the-screen auto-numbered waypoints (which means I
can wear gloves in winter and still get waypoints). I can use a
bluetooth earphone/mic to take an audio commentary on the device, and
when I get home the WAV files and GPX files can just be copied over the
network on WiFi and synced in JOSM using the continuous audio features I
added.

David