[OSM-talk] Static maps using the new export function

Rob rob at coolbegin.com
Fri Apr 25 13:22:00 BST 2008

2008/4/25, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:

>  Hi,
>

>  On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:03:46 +0100, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>  > In message <8634cccecf1f29c15265434c22eb5a85 at acrewoods.net>
>  >         Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:
>  >> I can't see an obvious way to do this, maybe I just need to dig around
>  > in
>  >> the code behind the export tab, but is it possible to already do
>  > something
>  >> similar to the Google static maps feature, i.e. allow people to just
>  >> specify a URL in an img tag and have the static image with optional
>  > marker
>  >> automatically created?
>  >>
>  >> http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
>  >>
>  >> If not, how much work would it be & how hard?
>  >
>  > There is a way to do it, as a little exploration of the export feature
>  > would doubtless show, but I don't want people doing that sort of thing
>  > as it is not designed to support that sort of load. At the moment
>  > there are no technical restrictions, but if it becomes a problem then
>  > there will be.
>

> OK, thanks for letting me know.
>

>  > Is an OpenLayers slippy map pointed at our tile server not better there?
>

> I think so, but I suppose it's another technical hurdle and static images
>  would be much easier for a lot of people. Something for the future, then.
>
>  Kind regards,
>
> Tom

i did some coding to display a (small) slippy map into a forum
(vbulletin) message [1], but including the javascripts can be a
problem (imaging multiple maps in a message).. it's heavy load for the
browser. a small map image (php generated) with marker should be a
better and lightweight solution, user can link to the actual slippy
map in a other (popup) window. Nice idea..

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Vbulletin_osm