[OSM-talk] Calling all Londoners - the Thames...

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 19:38:05 BST 2008

Folks,

The Thames these days is looking OK on both main renderers, but not on
Computerteddy's Garmin maps, which he creates with mkgmap. On the
Garmin maps it overflows its banks all over the place - the London
Eye, for instance, is underwater.

Looking at this myself, I'm not that surprised - there's an unusual
variety of tagging going on, mostly involving riverbank ways also
tagged as coastline, but not actually forming closed shapes as the
current wiki page indicates they should. One pair of opposite banks
are even members of a multipolygon relation in a way that was
certainly never intended.

My approach in fixing this would be to remove the coastline tag and
close the riverbank sections, but I don't want to step on any toes. Is
anybody working on this? Does anybody want to defend the status quo?

Dermot